Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Altimeters as leak indicators

Hi Hugh,

I might change my mind about adapting a two-pointer, analog altimeter for sub use.  There are some things I like about them and some I don't. A pressure change of 0.3 psi produces a 180 degree movement of the long pointer so any change and the rate of change are extremely easy to see on a leak test.  A pressure change of 1.4 psi produces a 90 degree movement of the short pointer.  I would add psi markings.

The adjustment knob (bottom center in the pic above) allows easy setting of both needles to 0 prior to a test or a dive.

The downsides could be cost, bulk, and diameter of the face when panel space gets crowded (which will be a concern in my case).

Used altimeters that have been professionally inspected should be fine even if they haven't been re-certified for aviation use.  I sold my last plane about eight years ago so I'm somewhat out of touch on some issues, however I expect that almost all aircraft now require an encoding altimeter that reports altitude to ATC.  I don't need that capability for a sub.  Decision time is a long way off so I should have opportunity to see what you, Phil, and others have done before I have to make up my mind.

Cheers
Jim