RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pipe System Confirmation.

I love rules of thumb, and this is a keeper. But is this one based on the expectation of a cylindrical shape? What also makes me think rules could go out the window is that these things have all sorts of intersecting volumes at right angles. Plus threads, which must offer wonderful stress concentration.

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Hugh Fulton
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:10 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pipe System Confirmation.

Alec,    As a rule of thumb you can make anything for high pressure (4000 psi) if you have the wall thickness 1/8 of the outside diameter.

Or if you are wanting a certain ID then divide ID by 5 and you will get the wall thickness. Not exactly but safe enough.

The other is the ID is 75% of OD , even simpler.     This also applies to the thread so if you are using ¼ NPT then ID is the outside of the male thread.

Cross holes are where you need a bit of wall thickness.  For ¼” manifolds use 1” square bar. ½”  use 1-1/2” bar.  Use brass it is so much faster. Hugh