RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] old SCUBA cylinder

Sean, You can hardly expect those of us who were diving in the 60's and 70's to remember those details let alone what we had for breakfast yesterday.

However I was at one stage service manager for USDivers in NZ and the cylinders were all stamped.  The markings will be there somewhere.  I just had to do some heavy wire brushing to find serial numbers myself just last year as they were all covered with paint.  When re painting make sure the numbers have all the paint scratched out of the stampings otherwise the same thing will happen when re-painted.   Hugh

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Sean T. Stevenson
Sent: Saturday, 11 February 2012 10:18 a.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] old SCUBA cylinder

I think that most dive shops do not perform their own cylinder testing,
but rather subcontract that service to companies which specialize in
testing of not only SCUBA, but SCBA, fire protection and industrial gas
cylinders.  In North America, cyclinders are certified according to
Transport Canada and/or US Department of Transport regulations.  and the
hydrostatic testers use the stamp information to determine what standard
to test to.  I don't know whether the apparent absence of markings is
due to this tank being so old that it predates the regulatory framework,
or whether they are under there under a very thick coating of paint.  I
doubt the former, but can anyone who was diving in the early 1970's
verify this?

-Sean

On 2012-02-10 05:53, Smyth, Alec wrote:
> It depends where you are. When I lived in Argentina, the answer was yes,
> the tank would be hydroed, almost certainly found to be just fine, and
> enjoyed so long as it continued to pass its tests. Here in the States, I
> have four such tanks in my garage but the local dive stores refuse to
> even test them, although they ring clear as a bell when tapped (meaning
> they likely have no rust).
>
> Alec

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG