Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:03 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] electromagnetic drop weight mechanism

There are substantially more cons than pros here. Many of the deep vehicles and early attempts used this, including the old Deep Jeep, Alvin, and the Trieste. Read up on any of them and you will find instances where an unexplained short dumped everything and sent them to the surface. Expensive and wasteful is what it is. Especially Trieste, which had its BATTERIES held on sloping rails (they were deck mounted, originally) and lost them ALL due to a very minor short circuit in the cabin. Lost them all at 15,000 feet, that is. My friend Mike Stahle was the chief pilot and then crew commander for that thing, and they hated those electromagnets. Hated them! Necessary for them, of course, but for us, a penetrator is just too dead easy to install--and bullet proof. Turn handle, drop weights. Don't turn handle, take weights home. Simple.
Vance