Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ballast Vent fittings

Hi Jon,
               Thanks for your interest.  The quick answer to "why ferro-cement" is probably because I'm nuts !
 I guess I just like the concept of working with the stuff, I see a lot of unique characteristics that it offers.  Somewhere along the line I got hooked on it.  The book I purchased on building ferro-cement sailboats really highlighted all of the positive aspects of ferro-cement.  If it's done right and sealed really well with the epoxy coating, it will still be around a couple of thousand years from now and it will be stronger than it is today, since concrete continues to strengthen over time.  I won't have to buy lead, and it also offers a fluid, free-form shape.

I'm currently trying to get all my figures on an excel spread sheet, problem is my design keeps changing and evolving !

weight of  ferro body out of water = 7,000 lbs
weight of ferro body in water        = 3,956 lbs

weight of concrete             =  150 lbs/cu ft

ballast volume                              =  115 cu ft   (lift = 7,360)

Pressure hull  - one cylinder 96" x 26" dia     net positive bouyency = 3,061 lbs (lift)
                       - one cylinder 60" x 48" dia     net positive bouyency = 1,056 lbs (lift)
                       + transition cone

I will know some more exact calculations after I get it in the water.  I'm hoping to weigh it in the water with it flooded.  I just have to do some additional coating of the inside.  Then I will be ready to seal the two halves together ( with 10 gallons of 3M 5200)  and bolts all the way around.  Ultimately I want this thing to be a work horse.  I would like to put a small Yanmar diesel engine in it for surface travel, like a small sailboat engine.  I need to go about 12 miles out to Anacapa Island from Channel Islands Harbor.