Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] nuytco in ventura

Hi Phil,
               I have to say it was one of the great thrills of my life getting to meet and talk to you when psubs was up there in Vancouver !  Hearing you talk about the possibility of using the thermal vents to power an undersea habitat really got the juices flowing for me to continue onward with my sub !   Even though I only get to work on it in spurts ( slowly but surely !)

  I got to the Neemo web site, very interesting, looks like the habitat Aquarius has been down there a while !  Needs a paint job, at least on the outside anyway.

  Can you tell us what the NOAA and UCSB projects were about.   Down at the boat yard they seemed to indicate that it had something to do with the habitat around the oil rigs.  It seems like there is an element in the coastal commission who are very hostile to the idea of eventually converting the oil rigs into artificial reefs.  Just wondering if they are gathering info for or against.

     Even though the natural oil seeps off of UCSB add about 200 barrels of oil per day the oil companies seemed to get blamed for it.   There's some real diametrically opposed factions here in the Ventura - Santa Barbara area.  The Fish and Game department is at war with the fishermen as well, closing more areas every year.

Cheers,

Brian