Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] I survived an escape from a sunken Psub this weekend!

Hi Vance

On the old Delphin from the mid 60ies they use the dome as negative-parachute just install with two to hand held on the inside. Very simple and easy. I make a test with a real glas dome in a swimmingpool and the problem is if you keep it to one side you will lost very easy your air bubble and all bouancy. Not funny in say 250 feet. And on the surface you will have no swim aid with that.

The same is with  divers scuba bottle and a Divers mask. No bouancy during the way up and no bouancy help on the surface.
And maybe empty before you manage you way up.

A Steinke hood or a plain divers bouancy aid seems may the better solution. But the Steinke hood gives you no breathing air if you stays on the same horizontal level. If you catch something during the escape or you wait on the sub to free your guest you get very easy in a out of air situation. With a Steinke hood you must lift off. With the divers bouancy aid you can..
The other problem on the Steinke is that you have to fill is from a supply line from the sub or a other compress air source.
If you do it by mouth breathing over the small aid valve you have used air in the system and you have to unlook the full mask zipper..

We comes to the conclusion to use divers swim aid like this and a simple divers mask is the best solution:
http://www.ioua.de/images/spiroweste.jpg

And for real bigger subs we will rebuild our diver drysuits with the mouth and hose piece showning on the spiroweste picture.

vbr Carsten