Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Book & Paint

Hi, James,

Please take everything I say with a grain of salt since there have been technical advancements in materials and equipment since I was doing this on a regular basis. I need to update my knowledge before coating anything on my own vessel. There are probably some guys on this site that can speak directly to those points.

The polyurethane I was spraying was $250 per gallon 30 years ago.  It was 2-part 1:1 and the preferred solvent was methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) also called Butanone, however we sometimes used acetone because of availability.  The tip size on our guns was .3 mm to .5 mm.  The mix was thinner than house paints such as acrylic latex.  I've also sprayed acrylic latex with the same equipment, but had to use a larger diameter tip and thin it (with water) slightly more than the manufacturer's specs.

JOTUN has their own proprietary solvents and I'm not sure what they contain, however I fully expect that the mix ready-to-spray would be at the same viscosity I'm accustomed to.  I wouldn't even consider using a brush for a number of reasons; one of those being that it's about impossible to apply it at a uniform thickness, and that can be critical to solvent release and curing.  I also would not consider using a siphon feed gun or any that use high air pressures.  There are HVLP's that perform somewhat like an airless.  I prefer a remote paint pot with a pressure line feeding paint to the gun as compared to a gravity feed gun.  The reason is that I can then point the gun straight up, straight down, or at any other angle.  That's handy when you are painting the bottom of something above your gun.  It's also easier to maneuver the gun into tight spaces.

You absolutely must wear proper protective gear including a good-fitting respirator type mask with fresh charcoal canisters.  Also consider ventilation/filtration, solvent concentration, and all ignition sources (including vent fan motors).  Failure to do so can absolutely ruin your day.

A common mistake is to locate the inline water trap too close to the compressor.  The air needs some distance after leaving the compressor to cool enough for the water vapor to condense enough for the trap to catch it.  Otherwise the water vapor passes right through the trap and then condenses into water droplets that pass through your gun and mess up your finish.

Learn as much as you can so you can ask well-informed questions, then call a JUTON tech rep to describe what you plan to do and ask your questions including "Is Hardtop AS the best one of your company's products to use for submerged applications?"  But also tell him how long at a time you expect the vessel to be in the water.  There are different considerations for those that sit in the water compared to those that are in for a few hours at a time and are then hauled out and cleaned.  When I finish asking my questions, I always ask, "What else should I know that I didn't know enough to ask?"  Often that's when I get the most valuable information.

Coating (painting) the interior of the sub for corrosion prevention deserves as much attention as the exterior.  At the end of a day of diving, you can give the exterior a fresh-water and soap wash down with a pressure rinse.  Can't do that as easily with the interior, and the interior has way more nooks and crannies.

You can find some info on the net regarding building your own spray booth.  Are you going to have the hull hanging from chains when you spray it?

That addresses some of the considerations.  Hope you can take the product of my Random Thought Generator and combine it with what the experts can share with you.  Let us know how it works out.

Best wishes,
Jim T.

In a message dated 8/26/2011 9:53:59 A.M. Central Daylight Time, jamesf@guernseysubmarine.com writes:
Hi Jim

Thanks for your advice.

>Was it primed using the product that your paint supplier recommends or provides themselves?

Yes, its been professionally sprayed with a two part epoxy primer.  The one that is supposed to go with the topcoats.  1 coat of Jotumastic 87 Aluminuim.  2 coats of jotumastic 87 standard.

>I was always shooting color (or colour) ASAP after priming, so you'll need to check the tech sheets of your >primer and color carefully for best practices.

According to the literature, ive got 7 days to get to get the top coats on before it cures.

>Do you have a place to build a make-shift spray booth?

Yes, i can rig up some sort of booth no problem.

>Every little dust particle that settles in high gloss paint will show.

hmm, ok.

>I use an automotive detail gun with a remote pressure pot.  One line feeds paint from the pot at about 6 >psi.  The other line feeds pressure to the rear of the gun at 15-20 psi.  This can give you good break-up for >a smooth finish with very little overspray. Proper thinning is also key to making that work.

I'm just looking around on ebay to try and find something suitable.  I just have a feeling that the cheapy kits would spray house emulsion ok but not the thick stuff i have.

>I'd strongly suggest you practice first on some other items or junk to get familiar with how to adjust your gun

Will do.

>Even though I have the background and equipment, I'm still considering having a paint shop with a modern >spray booth shoot the large components as well as smaller ones that may be ready at the same time.

Unfortunately i cant do that.  I have to do it myself from now on.  I'll get it done one way or the other.

>That's just a few of the points to consider.
>Hope this helps,
>Jim T.

Many thanks,
Kind Regards