Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Snoopy life support test

OK - thanks. I had another look at that thread, and the only other thing I would add is that you want uniform flow through the scrubber bed, so in the case of a radial flow scrubber where flow is from outer to inner diameter, while you need the fan to generate the pressure head & air flow consistently in the presence of resistance, you want the air flow at the fan exit to be as diffuse as possible, such that the flow across the scrubber bed is predominately the result of the pressure difference, as opposed to the air velocity at the fan exit. For example, a fan with a small outlet on one side only of the canister with no additional mechanical diffusion may unevenly consume scrubber media. Avoiding this ensures that you get the same air flow over the whole length and therefore meet the design dwell time within the bed, or more importantly, that the scrubber media is exhausted evenly throughout the bed. A good design check would be to use the purple-indicating media, and checking at the end of the dive if the extent of colour change is consistent from top to bottom of the canister. In any case, for a given design volume flow rate, you want to minimize the velocity through the scrubber bed for maximum dwell time.

-Sean