Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Snoopy life support test

The cabin pressure is pretty typical, Alec. It's why we never had to worry about it overmuch, and why Phil's auto add system works so nicely. Predictable.Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Smyth, Alec <Alec.Smyth@compuware.com>
To: personal_submersibles <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sun, Aug 7, 2011 12:03 pm
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Snoopy life support test

Hi everyone,

OK, let's try to answer some of all these questions. First, my daughter is twelve but she's extremely tall for a twelve year old, being already the same height as her mother. She would still be on the light side for an adult, but she's definitely more than half an adult. If I were diving with a crewmember of about my size, my guess (and that is all it is) initial O2 setting would be 1.25 lpm instead of the 1 lpm used in the test with my daughter.

I agree the initial concentrations of CO2 are high, and I think they are due to the time taken up by getting into position and dogging down the hatch. I was working in the sub up to about ten minutes before the first test, so there was probably some lingering CO2 from my earlier presence too. The getting-ready process was probably about 4 minutes, the last minute or so being with the hatch closed. Just to make sure the instrument is not reading high, I tested it outside and it reads 0.02% CO2 and 20.2% O2.

In terms of the permissible concentrations of CO2, the air at the end of the unassisted dive did not yet feel at all stale. We were at 1.6% CO2. But according to Phil's life support white paper, the Navy's standard for manned submersibles is to keep CO2 under 2.5%, while NASA's standard is 1% for indefinite exposure and 3% for up to one hour. I could not tell any difference in air quality between the three dives, other than by looking at the instruments.

Yes, my O2 meter did track the Sub Aspida readings, which is reassuring for when I ship the latter back to Jon! Problem is, mine has one percent discrimination while the Sub Aspida goes to a hundredth of a percent. On the unassisted dive mine went down to 19% and then 18%, at which point its lower alarm went off, but on the two life support dives mine didn't have the precision to show anything meaningful at all, and was at 20% the whole time. Its functional enough to tell you if you're in trouble, with a backlit display and low-high alarms, but useless for a test of any accuracy. By the way, with something as accurate as the Sub Aspida you have to be a bit careful in the measurements. If you aim a breath in its direction, the reading shoots way up. If you raise it into the dome, it shoots way up. Just walking from outside into my home, the CO2 increases by 300%.

Regarding the radial fan current versus battery capacity, I've a new bit of information. Yesterday I noticed that the fan's spec sheet lists the current draw as 0.22 amps, while the fan has 0.36 amps printed on it. Given the conflicting figures, I put down the higher one. But Cliff's email prompted me to go out and measure the current draw to settle the matter. It turns out the fan pulls only 0.2 amps with the scrubber full, so I guess the spec was right and the motor sticker wrong. Another detail here is that Snoopy, being a little K250, is a 12 volt boat with a single battery bank. The original K250 design has three batteries wired in parallel. In the recent redesign I was able to expand that with a fourth battery for a total of 316 amp hours, but I still have the original single-bank configuration. Of course, without a separate hotel battery, my reserve for the fan will depend on the battery charge condition.

If anyone wants the specifics, the radial fan is a Delta Electronics model BFB0712H. Here are some photos attached of scrubber and fan.

Final point... I was not surprised by the fan results. What really did surprise me was the stability of the cabin pressure, in particular in view of the precision to which the Sub Aspida was measuring it (1 millibar), and how easy it was to use a system with no feedback loop regulating the flow. I wonder if that is typical or lucky?

Thanks,

Alec