From: alanjames@xtra.co.nz
To: personal_submersibles
Sent: Tue, May 3, 2011 4:43 pm
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] electric motor bearings

Hi,
I asked the question a while back as to whether the minnkota motors had any
thrust bearings in reverse.
The answer seems to be "NO".
Here is a spare parts link that shows motors with only a circlip wich spins against washers
when the motor is in reverse.
I guess this would be an argument for oil compensating rather than air compensation or good shaft seals,
if you were intending to run the engine in reverse.
So if you had a motor that has an 80 lb thrust, it would be like spinning an 80 lb weight at X amount of revs
on a couple of dry washers.
I would appreciate any comment if I've got it wrong or it's not an issue.
Thanks, Alan.