RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Paint.....Cheap or Proper?

I think you mean changing the propellers pitch dean! J “sharpening” it can actually reduce the propellers efficiency and also if done incorrectly it can put the prop out of balance!

International and Norcoat/Norglass are both good marine brands as far as 2 part polyurethane paint goes… Many psubs aren’t in the water long enough to have barnacles and growth build up one the prop’s/hull to become a worry…

I free dived underneath a 50 foot twin screw cruiser/boat/ship just before xmas to scrape some of the barnacles off the running gear, props and rudders…. (4 or 5 years since its last antifoul) Also while I was down there I found a 1 inch diameter mooring rope wrapped around one of the props…. The props were about 2 foot in diameter! J the imbalance created by the rope wrapped around the prop was causing a massive shudder/vibration to come back through the boat! And only on that engine… which is how the skipper figured out something was a miss with that prop/driveline..  in some places there were barnacles an inch thick!!!!!!

Coppercoat ablative antifoul (also made by international paints) is awesome for moored vessels! As long as they don’t have any alloy in their hull’s/driveline… 10 years between antifouling! But if you use it on a boat with an alloy leg/drivetrain on it… dissimilar metals + electrolysis = no more prop/leg in a very short while…   for a sub made out of steel and painted with 2 part polyurethane might not have too much of a problem! J

Regards,

stew