[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fixed motors versus rotating

Hi all,
I have 2 motors that are going to be mounted port & starboard, & had intended to
have them rotating through 180 degrees to give me both forward & lateral movement.
I have two linear actuators (electric rams) that I was going to use to achieve this; however a direct linkage from the actuator
piston to a disk or lever on the motor rotating shaft won't give me 180 degrees. I would have to use some sort of gearing,
maybe a rack & pinion.
This all is seeming a bit hard & I'm tempted to buy 2 more motors & dedicate them to the lateral movement.
So I would have 4 fixed motors.
I don't want to rotate them using "through hulls"
Any words of wisdom on either  how to set the motors up to rotate 180 degrees or on the pros & cons of fixed or rotating
motors thanks.
Regards Alan