Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:33 PM
Subject: Enquiry

Dear Alan,

Ref your enquiry on Sofnolime® 797:

Hi, I\'ve bought your 797 grade Sofnolime for the purpose of controlling CO2 in a small 1 atmosphere submarine. All the information I\'ve found reguarding dwell time of air through the absorbant refers to rebreathers & closed circuit medical use wich would deal with concentrations of 4% CO2. I would be putting air through at typically less than 1/2% CO2. Does this mean I can have less dwell time in the absorbant? I need to move larger volumes of air to control levels than in a closed circuit. Any advice on flow levels thanks. I am also asking this question on behalf of a number of other submarine enthusiasts. Thanks Regards Alan

You’re correct in your assumption that absorption in larger volume has different constraints on dwell time. To be able to answer the question fully we’d need to know the air volume in the submarine, or compartment if it’s a rescue situation. Your anticipation of ½% is low for normal breathing unless you mean you want to keep the CO2 below this level. Please confirm. Otherwise we can make an assumption. Bear in mind expired air in breath comprises approx 5% CO2 by volume AND given the rate can be over 25 litres of air breathed per person per minute – 1.25 litres of CO2 per minute produced.

So what we need to know is:

·         Volume of free air

·         Number of persons in the compartment and expected activity level

·         Limits on the practical flow rate you can achieve – so we can work out air changes.

With this information we can give you an estimate of the amount of Sofnolime required and its longevity.

You’ll also, I’m sure, have considered replacing the 5% Oxygen taken by each person per breath nd replaced it from an oxygen, rather than air supply, unless that’s unlimited.

Best regards

Phil

Phil Heyes

Business Development Manager

Molecular Products Ltd.

Mill End
Thaxted
Essex CM6 2LT

Tel: +44 (0) 1371 832210

Mobile: +44 (0) 7738 995261

E-mail: psh@molprod.com

Web: www.molecularproducts.com

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions presented or expressed are those of the author(s) and may not necessarily represent those of the Company or of any Molecular Products Ltd employee and no representation is given nor liability accepted for the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this email unless expressly stated to the contrary. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error, you may not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy it, but please notify the sender that you have received it in error.

SECURITY NOTICE: Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. Please note that communications sent by or to any person through our computer systems may be viewed by other company personnel and agents.

Molecular Products Limited. A member of Molecular Products Group plc, Mill End, Thaxted, Essex UK CM6 2LT. - Registered Number: 02721125 England - VAT Number: 249311172

This message has been scanned by: Mimecast & Nod32