From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of irox
Sent: Sunday, 27 February 2011 5:16 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] pressure compensated outboard

Hi Brian,

given that almost all submarines that have used gasoline as fuel have met with a horrible end (Doc's bionic dolphin being the only exception, but that only submerges for seconds), I would stay away from gasoline.

You did motivate me to search for diesel outboard, seems like there have been a few, although not a popular diesel application:
http://www.yanmar.com.au/marine/d_series/dseries.htm

I think a small diesel generator powering the main thrusters would be a more convenient set up (and safer).

Also, I would consider making the housing from something that was less flammable that fiberglass.

My 2cent!

Cheers!
  Ian.