Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] pressure compensated outboard

Hi Alan,
                That was my first thought, if any components would be affected.  I can't see where there would be a problem, anything that has gasoline in it would be safe as far as pressure is concerned.  I'm thinking a 20 hp or so outboard, electric start, fuel injected.  I think most of those are water cooled so that would be a plus.  I would just turn the whole cylinder to steer, and mount the thing in there good. Have a fuel line that could be valved off, the fuel tank might have to be pressure resistant.

Brian

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Alan James <alanjames@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
An ambient outboard!
Sounds like an idea with a lot of potential Brian.
I'm wondering if there are any  components that may be affected by the air pressure.
How big a motor are you envisaging? What sort of motor controls?
Regards Alan
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:57 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] pressure compensated outboard

I have an idea for a pressure compensated outboard engine so as to give surface power for my sub.   Basically it would be a "can" that would cover an outboard engine with an opening on the bottom.  There would be a float valve located near the bottom of the opening so when I submerge, as the water begins to move up into the cylinder, compressing the air, the float valve would inject air.  That way it would keep a constant volume of air in the outboard engine compartment.  As you assend the extra air would simply expand out the bottom.

Brian