Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] drug-sub mania

Notice the six-point hatch latching mechanism.  The T-handle is attached to the rotating shaft which presumably has another T-handle on the outside.
Jim

In a message dated 2/15/2011 11:28:16 P.M. Central Standard Time, jonw@psubs.org writes:

I had the same thoughts when recently providing some info for Wired
Magazine which should be coming out with an article on this topic
shortly.  Dealing with ballast tanks and obtaining neutral buoyancy
takes some getting use to.  If you have a sub rated for 250 feet you can
afford to sink down 30 feet before countering a bad negatively buoyant
trim.  In this case where the rated depth is something like nine feet,
sinking 30 feet before being able to counter bad ballast control could
ruin your day.

I'm having a hard time imagining the $2 million dollar price tag put on
the sub fabrication though.  It looks like a six foot diameter hull, but
even at 100 feet long I don't see $2 million in costs there.

Jon