RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Lessons learned?

Title: Lessons learned?

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jon Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:30 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Lessons learned?

On 1/18/2011 10:21 AM, Smyth, Alec wrote:
EVENT OPERATIONS

1. All boats must have communications. Sending a diver down to bang on the hull just doesn't cut it.

You'll note that in the pre-launch checklist I put online, underwater communications (UWC) will now be required equipment.  No UWC, no diving at PSUBS sponsored events.  Also note that in the pre-dive checklist, the UWC must be tested and proven to work or the sub will not be given permission to submerge.

2. Any member attending an event should be able to black-ball a sub from diving. This is like the famous Toyota practice (at the time revolutionary but now accepted) that any worker can stop the production line when they see something wrong. In the past, we've talked about a committee approving subs to dive. This is hard, because who would want the liability of "approving" a sub? But letting anyone who sees trouble halt operations seems to me common sense and less troublesome. In this instance, I know people at Ft Pearce who saw the problems with the boat while she was still on the dock.

Agreed, everyone should in fact feel responsible to report any safety issues they have concern about.  However, black-balling is a powerful word that insinuates such action would prevent the sub from diving.  I have seen this happen before and what results is either the loudest person wins, or peer-pressure can cause the person with the concern to back down.  We are much better off getting past our liability fears and having a dedicated safety team that can discuss the issue and either grant diving privileges with conditions, or not approve the sub for diving.  Such teams working under the color of the LLC are personally protected from liability by the LLC.  You also have to consider that there are MANY personalities in our organization, and I think from a peer perspective it might be difficult for a single person to stand up and demand that a sub not dive.

AS: Yes, you've got a point. Also, PSUBS really can't prohibit someone from diving, since we're talking about privately registered vessels using a public space. I'm not sure about the LLC granting legal coverage, just because I'm not a lawyer, and so would not want to be on such a committee. But maybe all we need is the understanding that anyone can raise a red flag, and indeed should be encouraged to do so if they are worried by something. Concerns could be raised to the coordinator of the event, who would have the responsibility of discussing them with the owner in question.

3. Organizers should have lift bags on hand. Dan Lance tells me that since the convention, he's acquired some huge lift bags just for this purpose.

I disagree if you mean in terms of recovery.  Each sub owner should be responsible for their own sub.  Getting it to and from the event, but also having a recovery plan if necessary.  I can understand a desire to have as much equipment as possible available at an event, however we also have to understand the costs associated with it and to whom we are going to entrust bringing that equipment.

4. Although it was not relevant in this instance, I would also suggest organizers should have on hand tools and an agreed methods for getting into the cabin of attending boats. These tools and methods should be supplied by the owners. In the case of externally operable hatches there's no issue. But with a K-250, for instance, you might need a battery operated drill or saw capable of cutting through the acrylic dome.

What you are describing is a safety plan, or emergency plan.  I agree and you will see that I have added "operating manual" and "Emergency plan" to the pre-launch checklist.  No plans, no diving at PSUBS sponsored events.  Better yet, owners SHOULD add these documents to their entry in the SUBDB.INFO website so that it is available online and can be accessed in the field.

Citing your specific example, I think hatch compliance with ABS requirements providing locking/unlocking capability both inside and outside the cabin should be a requirement and K250 and K350 owners should retrofit their hatches accordingly.  We also have to recognize that having the correct tools on hand won't ensure a speedy recovery.  The plan to raise BIONIC GUPPY was easy and straight forward, and we had all the correct tools.  Unplug some plugs here, put in an hose there, displace the water, and up she goes.  But even with the right equipment that took an entire day.  The plugs were difficult to remove, the rags inside clogged the water outlet.  I can't imagine if we had to attempt to cut through the 2.5 inch acrylic dome on the BIONIC GUPPY.  Working underwater is very difficult.

AS: Sorry, I didn't mean underwater. I'm just referring to the fact we may someday have to reach a passed-out crew inside a sub. It's easy enough to raise a sub that's not flooded, I was just taking it the next step. Now it's on the surface, then what? I agree we're not responsible for having the tools to do that, but it just seems like a good idea to ask owners to do so. Sort of like having an ambulance on hand at a car race. As for refitting a K-250, I've been thinking about that one for a long time. It's really not an easy mod because the hatch ring is very thin, and putting heat into either the ring or the coning tower close to the land could easily distort and ruin parts that would then be very hard to re-machine flat.  I'm eagerly following that other thread about getting the drawings for the Deep Worker latches, as those might work. But on the other hand my hatch needs quite a lot of clamping force to seal, and I'm not sure the Deep Worker style latches would provide enough. They're hatches and lands are much better machined, so probably although the latches are very robust for lifting the whole sub by the hatch cage, I'm not sure they need to provide a lot of clamping force.

5. When an incident or accident does happen despite everyone's best efforts, don't stay quiet about it. It prevents us all from learning, and it puts us all at risk of regulation for not acting maturely.

Speaking for the organization, I can only repeat that there was no concerted effort to keep quiet about this incident.  While I agree with you in principal, there were numerous other people who did provide very good reasons not to talk about it in a public forum.  In my mind it was up to each person individually to decide if they wanted to bring up the topic.  As the list maintainer, I did not prohibit anyone from bringing up the topic, and any inference that doing so would result in their expulsion from the group is absolute nonsense.

We can learn from this incident, but not by pointing fingers or trying to publicize blame.  Mistakes were made throughout the day, however nobody wants to have their noses rubbed in it on a public forum.  I think most of us attending the convention were sensitive to that.

Jon