RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Lessons learned?

Title: Lessons learned?

4. Forward and aft MBTs allow you to adjust trim on the surface very easily. Saddle tanks do not allow you to do this. In boats where the crew weight is a big static stability factor, such as three people grouped at one end of the boat, fore-and-aft tanks would seem a much preferable approach. I think Eurosub's crew positions are closer to the longitudinal center of flotation. Am I correct, Emile?

>>Yes people have a fixed place

5. Saddle tanks should be divided into sections. Visualize a situation with the tanks half blown. If the boat were 1% out of trim the bubble will run up toward one end of the tank, increasing the boat's pitch. In other words, continuous saddle tanks are dynamically unstable. By dividing saddle tanks into independently flooded and vented sections, you both reduce the instability and ad a degree of trim control similar to fore-and-aft tanks.

>> depends on the length / diameter of the sub. In a long sub the weight in the keel (met centric height) has almost no stabilizing effect in longitudinal direction.

Long subs should have a bow and stern VBT or movable ballast.

KSS/Eurosub is really short. Hull is 2 times diameter With half flooded MBT’s , it goes just a little nose up but still feels stable.

6. MBT openings (on saddle tanks or otherwise) should be low enough not to vent when the boat is significantly out of trim.

>> Yes All K boats should be buildt with closed MBT.

Emile

Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
Versie: 10.0.1191 / Virusdatabase: 1435/3387 - datum van uitgifte: 01/17/11