Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:47 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ignorant

To all:

  I have finally contacted a nearby college about taking a divers course as has been highly recommended. This will run me $360.00 and be about 3 weeks long. It is conducted in a heated pool (not that I am a wimp or anything) and I need to supply both my fins and face mask...anyway...
  I told the instructor that returned my call about the submarines I enjoy watching the building progress on. This was as it turns out a really stupid mistake.
  I cut my discussion with him short when he factually informed me that he felt such submarines were illegal according to the Coast Guard. I directed him to the psub website.

  I know we run into this frequently and do not wish to be a bad ambassador to our hobby so must ask for advice...

   As this interaction continues, how best can I inform this ignorant individual about the legal ownership and use of small submarines? In the months to come when this diving course is being performed, should I direct inquiries from him to someone a bit more in the know...a REAL diplomat, or should I be rehearsed as how best to proceed?

  Does a resentment exist between the submarine and diving communities that I am presently unaware?

  I see an opportunity here to better inform someone about these small submarines but do not wish to botch this play.

  Please advise.

David Bartsch