To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 11:32 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Regulators, barometers and oxygen

Scuba diving without minimum three feet of ice over the head? Why?

-Last scuba dive 2 years ago..- :-(

I just count the regulatos in Euronaut:

01) Main Oxygen regulator in control room (CR) HP to LP, with gauge
02) Oxygen flow needle vale in CR, LP to ambient, with flow gauge
03) Oxygen flow needle vale in diver chamber (DR), LP to ambient, with flow gauge
04) Main Pressure reducer from HP to LP for the hard tanks in CR
   This one is a big industrial one. With gauge.
05) 1 Emergency scuba two stage regulators with Octopus on the HP Valve board in Machinery Room
06) 4 Emergency scuba regulator second stage (octopus) on the ceiling of the saloon.
07) 1 Scuba regulator first stage behind the saloon walls to feed 06) with gauge
08) 1 Emergenny scuba regulator both stages with octopus in the diver chamber from the HP line

If the Euronaut will retiered in 30 years or so I can feed a scuba diver museum with a douzend different regulators alone. All regulators are inside and with exeption of 04) with quick connectors for maintance.

The sub has 40 m3 inside volume. The O2 bottle in use is inside has just 2 m3 or 5% of the internal volume.
The bottle in use reach about 83 hour for one or 21 hours for four persons. Very fine for a weekend.
If the main valve of this bottle fails and all oxygen goes into the hull it will incrase the oxygen level from 21 to max 26%. There is a second bottle as spare but not conneted inside. And there are four more o2 bottles with a total volume of 44 m3 outside - reach for 4 guys about one months..

The "barometer" is an altimeter from a old russian MIG 15. Goes up to 10.000 meter (33.000 feet)(The russians use also metric - very nice) During underpressure test with closed hatches and running diesel we reach 5.000 meter (16.500 feet)in 5 Minutes before illness of all three peersons started. For a smaller sub I would use a smaller skydiver altimeter as Phil allready indicate. Original I was looking for a altimeter from a Ju 87 Stuka. This unit comes with a adjustable second nice red indicator with close at the right high a electic contact to drop the bomb. In our case to stopp the diesel. But I was to late on the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.at/Orig-Kontakt-Hoehenmesser-Ju-87-Stuka-Fl-22317-1943-/250728825890

:-) Carsten

"Hugh Fulton" <hc.fulton@gmail.com> schrieb:
Emile,

I cannot understand how a clever person will Scuba dive in 1 degree.  I
think you are crazy.  J

You will never find me in under 10 degrees.  However it is nice to know that
the equipment works in those temperatures.

Happy new year,

Hugh