RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] counter rotational

     In in-water testing near a boat ramp with early passive sonar hydrophones, I was flabbergasted at how well I could hear boat motors and props especially when they throttled up to aid in getting the boat and trailer out of the water.
     I was later dumbfounded when a rather large boat did this and only the engine could be heard...Later when the boat was out of the water I saw why... It had two counter rotational props on a single drive shaft outboard! Had it not been for the gas motor itself, this particular boat would have been an issue with any collision avoidance sonar system.
     If such a drive system could be installed aboard a small submarine and driven by an electric motor, I could attain the speed desired for planes control as well as reduce self generated noise to better aid in passive sonar searches.

David Bartsch