Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Shellsol D60 experiment

Alan,

Do you think there should be any concern about the D60 penetrating bearings and seals and desolving lubricants?

Jim

In a message dated 12/27/2010 3:41:12 P.M. Central Standard Time, alanjames@xtra.co.nz writes:
Hi Emile,
It's mineral spirits that have been highly refined & this makes it less likely to break down plastics.

The high degree of general refining gives this solvent its

low level of impurities such as sulphur, olefins, benzene and total aromatics,

and low odor.

The WD40 that you use is 50% mineral spirits but damages some plastics a lot more quickly than
Shellsol D60 (see my experiment results bottom of page).
It's the best I could find within the criteria of low viscosity, doesn't damage plastic, non corrosive, non conductive
& cheap.
I'm no expert on chemicals but was referred to this product by knowledgeable people in the chemical industry.
Regards Alan