Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Design depth

Carsten is absolutely correct here. You can't calculate failure depth from operational depth. If you plug the K-350 design data into the PSUBS hull calculator (thank you Cliff) you'll find that it's predicted failure by calculation is somewhere around 875 feet. George applied a 2.5x safety margin to limit max operating depth to 350 feet.

If you know the max operating depth and the safety margin you can calculate the failure depth, however you cannot assume either one of those data points. The failure depth must be calculated either by formula or FEA. Even then, it is a prediction not an absolute number.

Jon