Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Design depth

It would be interesting to see a work-up and FE-calculations on Gamma, as it has some odd stress points in the battery box and, of course, the drilled through viewports. It works, and has done so for many years, but I'd love to see modern computer technology applied to see in realtime what Doug Privitt actually did.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: MerlinSub <MerlinSub@t-online.de>
To: personal_submersibles <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Fri, Dec 10, 2010 11:24 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Design depth

Hi Vance,

we finalise just the FE-calculations for the Javasub (3+1seater) and the
Northsub (3seats).
Both boats have the same design - Java is just a little longer.

Resulst are crush at 900m (3000 feet), work depth 400 (1300 feet) test at 500
(1600 feet).
Shell thickness is about a half inch, the first calculation by hand shows crush
at 500m
the difference between the first 500 crush and than later increase crush up to
900 m was a
optimize process of the stiffteners by the FE method and the fact that the hand
method
is far away from the optimum to find local high force spots.

Here are the Table fore classification to Germanischer Lloyd:
dd x factor = td  and  dd x factor2 = cd

design deep   -   test deep    -  crush deep  (all in feet)

  164   x 1,7    279    x 3,2       525
  328   x 1,4    459    x 2,4       787
  656   x 1,25   820    x 2,0      1312
  984   x 1,2   1180    x 1,87(!)  1840 (1968)
 1312   x 1,2   1574    x 1,80(!)  2361 (2624)
 1640   x 1,2   1968    x 1,76(!)  2886 (3280)
>1968   x 1,2  >2362    x 1,73(!)  3404 (3936)

(!= factor shall be 2,0 if water deep is more than design deep)

vbr Carsten

<vbra676539@aol.com> schrieb:
> You guys have fallen head over heels in love with a logic trap, heavily basted
with semantics. Give it up. Design depth is your operating depth PLUS the
percentage required for testing. It means the depth to which the pressure vessel
may be taken repeatedly without incurring irrecoverable damage.

> 125% doesn't make some people happy. I'll just stick in my 2 cents and tell
you that I have done a whole bunch of dives in vehicles built and tested to that
standard. Crush depth is an arbitrary derivative of the overall calculations,
suggesting that all things being perfect, if you go this deep (whatever THIS
happens to be) then the hull MAY suffer irreparable damage, and if it does, then
THIS is the site of most probable damage. The THIS is typically a measure of the
weakest link in the design, which is specific to the design, not general
discussion. It is NOT a weak link, but simply the first failure point.

> A C-class Perry for instance would be rated for 1200 feet maximum operating
depth. It's design depth (and unmanned test depth) would be 1500 feet and it's
crush test.....hmmm, I forget. About 1800 and change, I think. Maybe 19 and
change. That kind of thing is in the initial ABS calculation package, if you
happen to have it. However, it is not normally in the general ABS certs. I do
not have a crush depth number for Gamma, for instance, but do have her
certifications.

> For general interest, Nekton Alpha, Beta and Gamma are all rated at 1000 feet
and were all tank tested to 1500. Crush depth was ascertained by model testing,
which verified the calculations handily (just over 2000 feet). Perry was doing
repetitive construction on two proven primary designs (tubular hull, internal or
external ring stiffeners). Once proven, in other words, all they had to do was
replicate and prove that they had done so.

> As to accepting one safety factor over another, I'd say 125% should be the
accepted norm, based on experience and history. Anything over that is a personal
choice. I feel one way, somebody else feels another. Potato, potahto.

> Shallow boats are easy to double up on. The old Submaray, for instance, was
3/8" plate and they held it to 300 feet for safety. The PC-8, on the other hand,
was also 3/8" plate and I can't even tell you how many times I've been to her
operating maximum of 800 feet. Different construction techniques. Different
design. Different results.

> Vance

thickness, number of ribs, spacing of ribs, etc) used in ABS/ASME    formulas to
determine the maximum external pressure that the    submarine can operate in.  I
don't think ABS or anyone else can    reliably calculate "fail depth" or "crush
depth" because those    depths are highly dependent upon quality of material,
fabrication,    vessel use/maintenance, etc.  The crush depth could be some
percentage above or below design depth, however you could only find    out
definitively by testing the vessel to destruction.  For that    reason, you
don't want to perform a manned dive to 375 feet.  Make    sure that is an
unmanned test.  You'll note that ABS Underwater    Vessels Section 3.5 limits
the manned test dive to the design depth.

>     Jon
>

>     On 12/10/2010 9:04 AM, JimToddPsub@aol.com wrote:
>
> Jon,
>

> I need to read and study the whole ABS            publication thoroughly, but
from what I've read is seems            that the Design Depth I would need to
claim would be 300            feet.  During the survey I would need to dive in
increments            to 375 feet (300 x 1.25).  The vessel would then be rated
to            300 feet.  Per ABS, Design Depth is the depth to which the
vessel is "designed and approved to operate."  It's going to            be
approved to 300.  If I want to have it approved for            anything more
than that, I'll have to have it surveyed to            125% of whatever I want
its operating depth to be.

> What is surprising is that [so far] I see            nothing in ABS that
specifies how the Design Depth must be            derived.  It seems rather
arbitrary rather than stating            something such as "60% of the
calculated fail depth."

> Jim
>

> In a message dated 12/10/2010 1:24:29 A.M. Central            Standard Time,
jonw@psubs.org writes:

> A              different approach is to say, I know I don't want to dive
deeper than 300 feet (my max operating depth) and I want a              2x
safety margin.  That means using material capable of              withstanding
600 feet depth.  Now with this approach you              certainly may not pass
a 1.25 overpressure test for a 600              foot design depth, however
you've already self imposed a              2x safety margin.  If you wanted ABS
certification, then              you simply claim the design depth as 480 feet.
Now you              meet the ABS requirement (480 x 1.25 = 600) and also are
still well within your 300 foot self-imposed depth limit.