Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Design depth

Jim gave the ABS definitions of design and rated depth which match the descriptions I gave from the PSUBS guidelines.  Operational depth is purely arbitrary except that it cannot exceed the design depth.

I think the confusion comes from how you approach the design phase, and there are at least two ways to look at it.  The ABS/ASME way of viewing pressure vessel design is to pick a maximum design pressure (which the operating pressure would equal) and then add material to deal with corrosion issues and safety margin.  Remember, ABS/ASME rules are for pressure vessels, not specifically submarines.  In other words, a 1ATM submarine is always a pressure vessel, but a pressure vessel is not always a submarine.  This approach validates the 1.25 overpressure test since they are essentially saying, pick your design/operating pressure and then increase it by .25x to pass our test requirements.  Using this method, if Jim wants a submarine capable of 600 feet he actually has to calculate and fabricate the submarine to survive 750 feet.

A different approach is to say, I know I don't want to dive deeper than 300 feet (my max operating depth) and I want a 2x safety margin.  That means using material capable of withstanding 600 feet depth.  Now with this approach you certainly may not pass a 1.25 overpressure test for a 600 foot design depth, however you've already self imposed a 2x safety margin.  If you wanted ABS certification, then you simply claim the design depth as 480 feet.  Now you meet the ABS requirement (480 x 1.25 = 600) and also are still well within your 300 foot self-imposed depth limit.

In my opinion the 1.25x safety margin is not a comfortable margin, but for consistency if PSUBS is going to recommend a mininum safety margin then we should recommend the same as ABS.

Jon