In addition to the propulsion from the sculling action, a significant portion of a fish's propulsion results from the vortices generated from the tail motion which is why they can accelerate so rapidly.  It's similar to a whiplash action.

I may or may not be able to get the canoe to move more easily or conveniently than with a paddle.  Or I might just make the yuloh master laugh.

Jim

In a message dated 12/2/2010 9:17:26 P.M. Central Standard Time, alanjames@xtra.co.nz writes:
They're pretty good Jim,
I saw some others when I followed the link. One was hard to tell from the real thing.
Looking at their side to side head movement convinces me that it would be a bad
form of propulsion for a sub as you'd get sick quickly.
Alan
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 3:41 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fishtail propulsion

Frank,

Here are a few videos I found of mechanical fish such as we were discussing.

At some point just for fun, I might build a rig to try out on my canoe or a Jon boat.  From a top view:
B= body of the canoe
P= the powered section moved left and right
F= fin
x= hinges

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBxPPPPPPxFFFFFFFF

When power is applied to P to swing it left and right, F will swing in the opposite direction (by the force of the water) to provide propulsion from the sculling motion.  P will move through fewer degrees of arc than F.  The range of motion for P is determined by the configuration of the push/pull rods which power it.  The range of motion for F is determined by stops on the hinges.

I have several other projects with higher priority, but maybe one of these days...

Jim