Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] bionic propeller

Hi, Frank,

As you mentioned, a larger diameter prop is somewhat more efficient than a smaller one.  The problem is that it bumps into things and otherwise gets in the way.

The movement of a fish tail is complex; much more to it than just wagging back and forth.  It undulates to an extent, carries the motion all the way to the head of the fish, and varies that motion depending on that the fish is doing -- cruising, darting, turning, etc.  The biggest advance in understanding the dynamics comes from having computers that can now measure  multiple motion points on the fish and analyze it in all its variations.  The other half of the problem is constructing a mechanism that can duplicate that motion (again, in all its variations).  As you pointed out, it would be a lot easier to configure cruise mode.

You may have seen boats used in the orient that are propelled by a long, hinged oar that is wagged back and forth at the rear of the boat much like a fish tail.  Sorry I don't know what it's called.  The oarsman is standing and the boat rocks back and forth with each stroke.  I've only seen them in National Geographic type films.  Maybe someone has eyes-on experience.

Take care,
Jim