To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Blueglobe cable glands

It looks like these units are simple compression fittings. You can make your own by using a brass compression water plumbing fitting for sinks and toilets. For example, on my underwater camera I used 1/8npt x 5/16 compression, removed the brass compression sleeve, and substituted it with a grommet that fit tightly both around the wire (USB) and inside the compression fitting wall. I added a nylon washer on both sides of the grommet to both take up space and provide a surface to compress the grommet. I never tested mine however to determine exactly what the pressure rating would be and so never considered it for the pressure hull. If the fitting failed and I lost the web-cam then I only lost $79, but didn't want to risk an issue with the pressure hull.

It's nice to have some test numbers that give some idea of the pressure rating, however I suspect that the rating is going to depend not only on the wire jacket but also on the amount of torque applied to the nut to compress the rubber grommet. Too little torque will reduce the pressure rating. Too much torque could extrude the compression material, crack it, rip it, or fail by some other means by putting too much force on the material.

Jon

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53