Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] rotary ADS joint question

Hi, Carsten
Sure you could use 'Newtsuit' or 'Hardsuit' arms (they are virtually identical - except for the name) but I suggest that the 'Exosuit' arm is a much improved and up-to-date version of this near thirty year old design! The only way it will work properly on a sub is on an end hemisphere with a port above the centerline of the users shoulders or a dome port with the arms below. The original 'Flyer' version of the Deep Worker was designed with a backwards-facing dome-ring and Newtsuit arm sockets for just that purpose. We built two of this series but never got around to putting the arms on them - (one sold immediately and I kept the second one for myself - like I need more subs!) It would be interesting to see if you could purchase a set of Hardsuit arms from Oceanworks - I think the chances are zero - but if you were able to convince them to sell, I'm guessing a pair of arms and manips would be in excess of $250K U.S. - a trifle pricey! Cost of Exo arms? Ask me in a few months when we deliver the first Exos - same depth and a whole lot less than the Hardsuit version, though!

----- Original Message ----- From: <MerlinSub@t-online.de>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] rotary ADS joint question

Hi Phil,

Emile and I just update the next month the KSS Eurosub with a new bigger diameter frontdome we just develop together with Reinhard from the Nemo project. It 1 meter in diamter and 2,4 inch strong acrylic. Not cast and not blown - but hotmould of a polished steel ball hydraulic oven press.

But there was also a request by the owner may to ads 1-2 manipulators. I just read this track and comes back to an old idea of Wilhelm Bauer. Can we add one or two Hardsuit or Newsuit arms to the sub so that the arms operator in prone position can slid his arms into it from inside the pressure hull? Will this work? This solution seems for me on the first view easier to handle and control than a electric or electrohydraulic drivens manipulators.

Vbr Carsten

"Phil Nuytten" <phil@philnuytten.com> schrieb:
Hi, Sean:
I can understand your confusion since the language in this particular patent is not as clear as it should be . . the degree of axial movement cited - a couple of degrees - is the allowable tilt of the oil reservoir piston without binding. It has nothing to do with the 'anti-tilt' bearing described in Humphrey's subsequent patent CA 2485908. The anti-tilt mechanism was developed by my company, (Hard Suits Inc.) around the same time as my CA 1209632 patent - that patent describes the basic principle of the rotary joint but purposely omitted the 'anti-tilt' feature and an addition feature which was in use at that time called the 'fail-safe' ring. Although the Humprey patent appears to cover an entire rotary joint - it does not. The joint shown in the Humphrey is from my original patent, but with the addition of the 'anti-tilt' feature and the 'fail-safe' ring. There are only two claims in the Humphrey patent - the 'anti-tilt and the 'fail-safe' - the rest is prior art (my prior art). The short version is that my original patent lapsed and the owners of the company (which was sold and re-named several times after it was acquired from me and the other shareholders by a hostile take-over bid from a Texas company in 1996) very much wanted to continue to claim 'exclusive patented technology' even though that was no longer the case. Humphrey was my employee from 1985 to late 2001 and, unbeknownst to me, cut a deal with Oceanworks (the most recent descendant of the original Hard Suits Inc.) to 'patent' these two features in his name - but assigned to Oceanworks,(the two features that were not in my original patent.)
He is no longer in my employ.
The few degrees of axial movement possible in the oil make-up section amount to about 15 degrees in a five bearing limb - significant - but nothing like the 90 degrees of normal movement - it is made possible by 'rocking' the piston when the reservoir is partially depleted - not usually used and not claimed in either patent.

This pretty sketchy, but I can't go into further detail - except to say that I am currently the sole owner of Hard Suits Inc.

Original Message ----- From: Sean T. Stevenson