RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Recharging

If you were going to drift on the surface with the ocean currents while recharging (safer option if your running low on power)… possibly solar power might be a go… but you will be waiting J a while..

Firebolt mate…. Seriously… there are bigger problems to contend with first before you get to the problems of re-charging when it comes to subs… Are you building your own? Or was this a school research project? (ie all the questions?) Have you ever SCUBA dived before? An old technique for SCUBA and Skin diving/Snorkelling is to be towed behind a boat on a rope… with a wooden plank you hold onto to help you dive up and down…

A similar idea exists for submarines I saw not long ago…. There is the positively buoyant dolphin shaped sub that is depth limited and floats back to the surface when it is without power… and at the other end of the spectrum… diving bells! J if your concerned about power etc… a towed diving bell/sub/sled might be more easy for your first project! Depth is limited by the cable towing it from the boat and dive plane angles (when your trying to avoid the bottom, how steep can you go to avoid the obstacle) And with a hardwired cable back to the towing boat… you could very easily rig up a communications system to keep in constant contact with the skipper of the towing boat! Also there is an added degree of safety with a hardwired link… and minimal propulsion systems on the sub/diving bell…  you can concentrate your efforts/skills on O2/Breathing and Buoyancy/Control Systems before you worry about all that other stuff J

Or… Start with a ROV/Underwater Autonomous Vehicle… If your thinking about going down this route.. I have LOTS of information on control systems for AUV’s.. the main microcontroller costs about $30USD

Let me know…

Regards,

Stew