Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] V.A.S.T. Mk III to K-250 conversion.

Ian,

You can definitely retrofit the ribs, internal or external. They can be installed in segments and don't have to be one single piece. I don't think any left over metal from cutting out the integral VBT is going to provide reinforcement. The two existing ribs provide you with a 44 inch cylinder based upon the K250 plans. According to the un-stiffened hull calculator on the web site, that would take you to a maximum of 285 feet given the 1/4 inch thick hull. Depending how deep you want to dive, a 130 foot self-imposed limit should give you an adequate margin of safety without worrying about retrofitting ribs. Adding three T-ribs, one in the center of the conning tower and one additional rib on either side at 12inch on center, will get you to 250 feet with a margin of safety of about 2.5 according to the hull spreadsheet on the website.

Jon