RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K250 on eBay.

Well, nobodies perfect!

              David Bartsch
                (German)

From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:48:11 -0400
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K250 on eBay.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org

I don't think that rebuilding a K250 would be that much $$$.
The VBT replacement cost is more like $100 plus what ever valves and plumbing is needed. I was buying random pieces of stainless from "Sim's Metals" in San Jose and I'm pretty sure a small piece of stainless pipe and some 3/8 inch plate for end caps was sold at $2.40 per pound so maybe the bare parts would run $50 or so. That's for 304 stainless. Add some "weld-o-lets" for plumbing the tank for $20. This is assuming Ian can fabricate and weld the tank together. There's another outfit in Hayward that sells stuff like that. Both are just a short drive from Ian's place in San Fran.
Replacing three Kittredge thrusters with Minnkota 101's is $750 ( new ones ) and the  prop shaft through-hull for the rear thruster gets eliminated and/or replaced by a simpler electrical through-hull. Minnkota controllers are $129 each, Props are $36 each, and it's all "plug-and-play" so maybe the existing bus panels and other electrical components can be saved.
Paint is another area where some money can be saved. You don't need a full blown epoxy paint job to start with when it's probable you'll be cutting and welding more as repairs and upgrades are done. A good thick coat of galvanize paint would be fine in the short term. You can get "Zincalate" at $60 per gallon and just touch-up any scratches etc. regularly until all the re-fit work is complete.
New acrylic is expensive and there's no short cuts there.
Batteries ? I don't know how many a K250 holds but lets just say 7 total.
2 Banks of three giving 36 volts, plus one for 12 volt controls, lights, etc.
At $60 each for the cheapest marine battery, That's $420. OK, there's lots of ways to look at that, but just to get her in the water and be able to dive for a few months while you figure out how it works and learn the ropes, those work fine and come with a warranty of one year.
The thing is, not ALL the work has to be done before you can get wet. All things related to safety and basic operations need to be done and done well, but some of the other things can wait. If the boat is used in shallow water like San Francisco Bay, a lot of the more serious upgrades can be carried out as time and money allow.
It all depends on what shape the boat is in now, and how cheaply it can be purchased for. Just remember, it's 35 years old already, and made from 1/4 inch steel so there's not a lot of room for corrosion before the hull is shot.
Frank D. ( did I mention I'm Scottish ? )