Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Electric Propulsion

In a message dated 9/29/2010 11:21:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, irox@ix.netcom.com writes:
The idea of 25-30Kts is rather infeasible with battery power
alone (I will be happy to be proven wrong, of course).
Although reaching a top speed of 30 knots while submerged isn't feasible without nuclear power, it would be a fun exercise to calculate.
The Albacore hull would be the choice for it's overall drag numbers, but just how much horsepower is required to push one at 30 Knots ?
Jon said 50 feet long ? That's a good number. Anybody know the formulas to calc this ?
I remember the S101 and how much space was taken up for batteries. There wasn't much room left for people, for sure.
With the required horsepower known we could figure out how many batteries it takes to push that hard for how long. Then get a percentage of displacement needed to supply that amount of power.
My guess is it's over 90%. You're really looking at building a 50 foot torpedo if 30 knots is the goal.
Might be fun to figure out though.
Frank D.