Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Another Oil Barrel Sub

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Marc de Piolenc <piolenc@archivale.com> wrote:
What a beauty! When I was a child dreaming of my own sub, one of my ideas was to make one from oil barrels.

When I was a child, there were a pair of brothers who build a submarine from an oil tank discarded on their farm.  That and Argonaut Junior were my models.   Oil cans look good for shallow depths.  In many ways, what they have created is a Marder.   I'd love to talk with the designer and the bulder.

Radius of action: 1 mile is a bit disappointing. I think it would have been possible, even then, to do better than that.

The information says that it was built to check the status of the canals.  A mile might have been enough, given that the thing was probably carried to places that had reported some sort of problem.

I don't see a problem with this construction for this application.  British canals seldom reach six feet in depth.

Mike