RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub as panoramic film platform ( viewport flange and lens fit)

I guess I could put the bevel on the flange rather than the lens,  but it shows it on the lens in the book.  It's only a bevel not a groove, it's on the edge of the lens.

Brian
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Greg Cottrell
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:19 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub as panoramic film platform ( viewport flange and lens fit)

That’s true. Jerry lists this style as “another method” instead of approved method.

I once asked him about it and he said that he had tested plate viewports with radial o-ring grooves and had never had a failure. He thought that a properly machined groove on the radial acrylic surface (with radius inside corners) was very dependable and, in fact, less prone to cracking than having grooves in the steel. ASME did not agree but Jerry still included the method in his book.

Greg Cottrell

Project Manager

greg@precisionplastics.com

http://www.precisionplastics.com

P please consider the environment before printing this email