Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] retrieval devices

In a message dated 8/29/2010 11:46:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, vbra676539@aol.com writes:
the spring loaded ears latch the unit
Hi Vance. The male connector we saw at HBOI had no springs. It appeared gravity was all that was required to expand the "ears" due to the location of the pins. This was an extra one sitting on the floor so maybe it has springs when deployed. One thing for sure, it was very heavy. I picked it up and guess it was at least 40 pounds.

Hugh....The lifting eyes on my sub are "rings" within a welded collar so they DO rotate. They were purchased from a trailer building shop and used as tie-downs for heavy equipment.They're rated at 12K pounds each so just grabbing one gives me almost a 200% safety factor "in air" and even more submerged. The ring is 3/4 inch diameter forged steel. My sub should weigh 6840 pounds as dive ready.
My thought was that a ring that rotates up would be easier to grab. The buoy line passing through the ring will lift it up off the hull when the surface support crew pulls the buoy line tight. I can see how a spring on the "hooks" would improve the grab.
As you mentioned, anything going on the sub will be tested thoroughly before being put into actual use. This being a "life safety issue" means the testing will be quite extensive, under various conditions and circumstances.
I liked the Harbor Branch device we saw but just not sure how much of an angle it could tolerate . The "hook and eye" that Phil sketched seems like it would still grab even in severe angles. The three prong approach seemed to give the most flexibility in grabbing the ring at different angles. Two was not enough, while 4 was too many and got in the way.
Like Alan mentioned, maybe just a rubber band could provide the closure pressure for the hooks.
Frank D.