Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Narco submarines, torpedoes and semi-submersibles

Hi Brian. I visited with the folks down at MBARI in Monterey and they have some really nice AUV's they use for long range transects gathering various kinds of data. Some AUV's use satellite up-loads on surfacing so the scientists get the data at prescribed times and build up "data logs" for long term studies. I don't know what batteries they use but some of these AUV's can stay at sea for several months at a time. The shop guys there are pretty friendly and are glad to show off their toys to serious people. You should make a visit.....it's a good time and very educational.
Frank D.