From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of vbra676539@aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 9:25 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Scuba tank hook up

Alan,

I must be missing something here. What is the last 15% of the volume in a flooding scenario? I've never had to do it, but flooding the boat equalizes pressure inside and out. The volume of air compresses in a high point to that same pressure. All you would need was a BIBS and a face mask or something. No increase of pressure inside would be necessary unless your intent is to maintain a larger air bubble inside the boat, which would be dangerous unless you happened to have a bottom hatch (assuming the boat is in an attitude where it could even be used).

One caveat about air in the boat that I do know about is the violence of that bubble's release when the hatch is opened. In the Nekton Beta accident, the bubble shot Rick Slater out of the boat like a cork out of a champagne bottle, and the sudden movement of water flooding in to replace that air is probably what caused the other passenger to bang his head, which either caused directly or contributed to his drowning at depth. Based on that, it seems that a larger bubble might very well cause proportionally larger problems.

Mind you, flooding the boat is a pretty big problem all by itself. It gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Vance