Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:31 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] O ring groves

All good advice. I used the Parker book but used a "straight" gland ( =groove ).
I recommend the dovetail groove. My "O" ring can slip out if disturbed.
There are a couple of other important aspects to the groove like the bottom corners being rounded.
Dimensions and tolerances are given for each application.
The Parker book recommends no more than a 5 degree "dovetail".
It's a great book with pictures, graphs, and charts for the many different applications and sizes. Easy to understand. It's free to download.
Also has a section on the different types of material used in the making of "O" rings.
Definitely worth the effort to print and save in your files.
Frank D.