Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nothing is safe any more:

Clearance diving is still an important role in the RN. I worked with some of these boys. Britain has been finding unexploded munitions for nearly seventy years, both offshore and on. And they still find them today. Mines and the like are probably not a statistical issue anymore, as corrosion and sea pressure have probably disabled whatever was left. But, as you said.....who knows? There could always be a surprise or two down there.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Antoine Delafargue <antoine.delafargue@gmail.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thu, Jul 29, 2010 9:43 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nothing is safe any more:

Hello all,
If a gas pshitt is the only proven threat, then a sub underwater should be fine...
but what about an old mine going off underwater: are there known cases due to collision with a trawler for instance?
I was wondering about this for the English Channel, where many antisubmarine WWII english mines have been layed out (most have been cleaned after the war but who knows). I could not find a mention of this on the web.

regards
Antoine