Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] linear actuator- thruster range

Hi Hugh. Here's a link to the Firgellis I bought for the side dive planes. They were $129 each. Also bought a 12 inch stroke for the seat slider.
After taking one apart, I'd not recommend them as they are flimsy and not very strong. I originally thought the sleek one-piece body would make it easy to seal up, but the quality of the components isn't so good.
The model was a "mini actuator" # FA-12-6 for the 6 inch stroke ones.
They have a full line of products. Some are quite strong but none are very fast.
There's a rating number for how well they are sealed.
It starts with " IP " and the Firgelli's are IP 54 ( dust and light splash ) while the better sealed Minnkotas are at IP 68. ( submersible )
Not sure what the Lenco rating is.
What will you be using these for ?
On a side note......I'm still thinking of developing a retro-fit kit to add a magnetic coupling to a Minnkota so no oil compensation would be required. My son-in-law is a master machinist and I bet he could make a replacement end cap with a mag connector that would simply bolt onto a stock unit. With the proper seal at the coupling where the wires exit, it should be possible to make a sealed Minnkota good for the maximum pressure the factory casing will withstand. It would even be fairly easy to make a whole new casing and just use the "guts" from a Minnkota. I've looked at some deep water thrusters like Teledyne, etc. and they often can cost as much as $20,000 each. I'm pretty damn sure I can make a thruster for less using off-the-shelf parts from Minnkota and a little Scottish tinkering.
Frank D.