Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K250 to K400 modification

Alan,

You definitely do NOT want to increase O2 if you are going to pressurize the cabin as described in your text.  Increased partial pressure of O2 in an ambient sub will be hazardous to your health (oxygen toxicity) and could kill you.  You would want to stop O2 flow and simply breath the cabin air used to increase the ambient atmosphere.  Assuming you were going to abide by no-decompression limits there should be no need for additional O2 since you'll be adding lots of air to get the cabin to max-depth pressure.  If you were going to work for longer times at depth under ambient conditions and include decompression stops, then you would have to very closely monitor your O2 meter to ensure the partial pressure never rose to the point of becoming toxic.

There are other things to consider as well such as the effects of internal pressure on your viewports which are designed for external pressure only.  Stachiw describes different design requirements for viewports under internal, external, and both internal/external pressure.  I can't recall the differences off the top of my head but you'd want to understand what the possible effects are before trying something like this on a regular basis.

There are many things that are "possible", but that doesn't make them either safe or desirable.

Jon