Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nav systems

Hi Jens,

I bought an off the shelve package to get started:
http://www.oceanserver-store.com/osevkitcowid.html

It uses a Honeywell magnetic sensor, I can't remember
which one off the top of my head, but you can probably
find which one in some docs on the ocean-server.com
website.

The Speake Sensors ones look much better quality than
the ones on my device.  The heading I get from the
Ocean Service device is rather noisy and tends to swing
around +/-3 degrees, not clean enough to do what I
want.  Getting it as far away for other devices does
help reduce the level of fluctuation.

The FOG is a KVH E.Core RA 2000 fiber optic gyro, which
much more accurate than the Ocean Server sensors.  This
is the type used in commercial airliners.  I will try
to acquire more of these.  http://www.kvh.com/

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers!
 Ian.