Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CO2 absorbant efficiency

Alan,

All my references are on the last slide of that presentation and I believe I got my data point for capacity of the material at the Molecular Products web site. The slide set presentation was written back in 2005 and the specific page I referenced is no longer available but there are plenty of other data sheets for various products on the molecular products web site. There are different grades of soda lime which affect the CO2 capacity of the product. By the looks of current data sheets on the molecular products web site, it appears that I selected a rather low grade product (100 liters/kg) since I can't find a product that has that low of a capacity on their web site any longer (perhaps that's why they removed the product??). It's possible that in the tests documented in phil's paper they used a higher capacity product than the 100 liter/kg product I used as a example, or the test subjects were better breathers than the numbers I provided in my slide set, or maybe the product is actually more efficient than molecular products is advertising.

Duration depends not only on CO2 capacity of the material but also on efficiency of the scrubber, breathing rate, and tidal transfer of your lungs. The breathing physiology numbers I used in my example probably came from webmd.com (been too long, I can't recall) as referenced at the end of the slide set, however practical testing with real numbers is going to produce different results. So for example, if I change 20 breaths per minute to 18, and change tidal transfer from .5 to .3, and use a product with a capacity of 160 liters/kg from the molecular products web site, I come up with 269 minutes duration per pound.

Both documents should be considered a reference for design but not taken verbatim as consistent performance. When it comes to scrubbers "your mileage may vary" is a very real statement just as mileage per tank of car fuel depends upon the driver. I realize you are saying that the difference between the two documents is large enough that it would potentially impact design of storage capacity for extra scrubbing chemicals. For early design purposes the safest bet would be to use the more conservative approach if possible, or if that results in too large of a physical space then you might split the difference. Worst case you end up with more storage of chemicals which potentially translates to a longer dive duration in event of emergency. I would also recommend that you first determine exactly which brand and grade of soda lime you can readily get access to and then secure a data sheet for it. For a theoretical analysis you can follow the procedure in my slide set to get an idea of duration based upon the published CO2 capacity of the chemical you intend to use. However, realize that those numbers represent 100% efficiency (as my slide notes) which you are unlikely to achieve. The most important thing to do, is run a REAL practical test with your O2 and CO2 system in the actual submarine before diving with it. Cliff Redus has photos on the web site of him carrying out this kind of test. Then you will have a much better idea of the performance of your life support and how much spare chemical you need to bring with you for a specific duration period.

In regards to NASA and CO2 levels, Phil wrote his paper in 1998 while my slides were written in 2005. NASA likely changed their dependencies and requirements in that time period. My reference for that was "Spacecraft Maximum Allowable Concentrations Volume 2, chapter B3" as shown at the bottom of the slide set.

Hope that helps.
Jon

Alan James wrote:
Jon
Am designing my scrubbers & have come up with a discrepancy between
papers on the psub life support page.
Phils paper on life support states on page 6 that you get 4 hours (240 minutes)
per pound of soda lime.
Your scrubber design page puts it at 200 minutes per kg wich is 90 minutes
per pound (sofnalime). In other words Phils scrubber lasts about 2&1/2 times longer. This is quite a differance if you are considering taking down enough absorbant for 3 days.
Also ( nit picking now ) Phils paper states Nasa aborts missions at 3%
CO2 levels, while yours states 2%.
Regards Alan