From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Marc de Piolenc
Sent: Wednesday, 9 June 2010 1:53 p.m.
To: Personal Submersibles
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fluidic instruments and controls?

Just a quick impulse question.

I'm currently spending a pleasant few hours downloading from Jens's
fileserver - what a treasure horde that is!

While thus blissfully occupied, it occurred to me to wonder whether
anybody has investigated fluidics for submarines. I'm not talking about
pneumatics and hydraulics, but rather instruments and controls that use
fluid-dynamic phenomena. For an introduction, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluidics

Obviously the aim here is to keep electronics, with their
water-sensitive components, to a minimum. Fluidics is roughly analogous
to electronics in that there are both analog and digital
implementations. Interest in this field recurs from time to time in
connection with operation of devices that have to be stored over long
periods before use, and in connection with high-radiation environments
that can damage solid state electronic devices. NASA even devised an
all-fluidic guidance system for a projected "lifeboat" for the space
station, with a stored program that could control the entire re-entry
process! The control system used oxygen flow from the life support
reservoir.

Best,
Marc

our server receiving your request.