From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Phil Nuytten
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 1:49 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] submarine kit-builder's society

Wil:
Not to belabour the subject, but probably important to get it right. The figure quoted is for a new build - that is, a design that has not been previously classed by any accepted agency. The majority of the cost is for 'plan approval' - where the agency's technical people/engineers go over the detailed submissions, checking out each calculation, each FEA, each fab drawing, strain gauge results, radiography, compliance surveys reports, etc. Once plan approval has been granted then that specific design package is given what is called 'type approval' or 'type class' or 'model approval' or 'serial design approval' (differing terminology in different agencies).  This simply means that the specific design approved can be duplicated any number of times without the necessity for plan approval each time. That allows you to absorb the not inconsiderable cost of plan approval over several builds - as long as you don't change anything. You can upgrade or change features from the drawings on file with the agency, but each change must be approved (at some cost) and the new drawings supersede the originals ( the original drawings are retained for annual and major survey purposes on existing subs of the original model.
All this is presumably fine for manufacturers like us - but an unrealistic burden for a home builder! (actually, it's not even fine for us - a hundred grand for plan approval and a fairly standard pricing scale of about a hundred bucks an hour for a registered, qualified engineer means that the classing agency is proposing to spend something like a thousand hours on design review ??) - (less the agency's mark-up, of course). On a 40 hour week, that's twenty weeks - factor in the weekends and holidays and it's half a year! It doesn't take a qualified engineer anywhere near that time to actually prepare the entire plan, do the calculations, etc.,
Hmmm - I'm on a soap-box, I see.