Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] the leak

Submersible operations at that depth are very difficult for sure. There are some pretty amazing ROV's in the undersea industry and I have to assume the guys working there are pretty smart.
I wonder if the basic premise is off base though. My guess is that the "suits" are calling the shots.
Two thoughts I've had from the first few days since the leak was discovered.......
First off.....the dispersants being used seems like a bad idea to me. Wouldn't it be better to inject some type of "solidifying" chemical into the oil stream so the oil would clump up and sink, staying near the leak and at the bottom. It would create a HUGE pile of tar at the seabed but at least it wouldn't be spreading out all through the water column and across the entire gulf region.
Sure, it would be a big mess still, but it would be in a relatively small area and after the leak was fixed the big pile of shit could be cleaned up by ROV's and barges.
The other idea, although not a fix, would be to attach a larger pipe around the well pipe and channel all that oil and gas to the surface without it spreading all over the place. If a big barge was positioned at the pipe where it reached the surface, the oil and gas could be channeled into an open containment chamber where the natural gas would evaporate and the oil would be in a big "bath tub" where pumps could transfer it into tankers. The ultimate fix of drilling a relief well and plugging the well pipe could proceed and by August the well would be sealed permanently but the oil wouldn't have messed up the water and ultimately the shore.
I know it was an "accident" but the flailing around with different "fixes" has created a mess that will take decades to clean up, if it's possible at all to really get it all clean. ( which I doubt )
The damage to the environment and the industry, from fishermen to waitresses and all the people who live there is too immense to comprehend. I just don't think BP has enough money to really "make them whole".
Let me just add that I've always thought that oil on a federal lease was the property of the American people and for any company, be it American or foreign, to make profits beyond a reasonable amount is just plain wrong. Same thing with mining, forestry, hydro electric, or any other "natural resource" obtained from government owned lands. That stuff is the property of the citizens and should be developed with a set amount of profit margin but not ruled by corporate greed setting the "market".
Sorry, better get off my podium now......
Frank D.