Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudders

As a side note, Star I was a true psub, built by a couple of GD engineers for their own use. Being clever fellows, they got it utilized as an in-house test bed for future reference. Asherah being the first system produced from those learned lessons (then Stars II and III).
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: greg cottrell <jgcottrell2002@yahoo.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2010 12:26 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudders

To illustrate the importance of annealing, I'd like to pass on something from George Kittredge.

General Dynamics did a few experiments with domes when they built the Star-1. What they found out surprised them. When testing one of the domes (that had NOT been annealed) in a chamber, it imploded at only 50 ft. So they annealed the domes and the Star-1 was able to go much deeper (I don't recall how deep)
George designed the VAST sub with a similar annealed dome (formed from 1" starting thickness) and had the sub tested in a chamber to destruction. The dome reached a depth of 823 ft! I know this was true because George showed me the test results.

So, the point is, acrylic domes after forming are full of internal stress that needs to be released. In fact, unformed acrylic sheet from the factory also has internal stress from the casting process that needs to be released. This heating process also completely polymerizes the sheet and reduces residual monomer that can caused the sheet to break down prematurely from UV exposure. Even flat viewports should be annealed for best performance.

Greg