Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ratio of ballast tank holes

In a message dated 5/19/2010 4:12:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, laland@artematrix.org writes:
"In the case of implosion problems,
Hi Jens. I was thinking of "over pressure " in a ballast tank if the water exit holes were too small and the ascent rate became uncontrolled. As for "imploding" the ballast tanks, I think that would be difficult in one of our subs because as they are designed, the sub doesn't sink until the ballast tanks are fully flooded.
 As I understand the dive procedure, the pilot dumps the air and the ballast tanks fill with water. As the sub settles the variable ballast tank is adjusted to attain neutral buoyancy at just below the surface. The sub is now completely submerged and free to move up or down in the water column. Some further adjustment may be needed for changes in temperature or salinity but these are small changes in the "hard" VBT.
Once the dive is done, the pilot "motors" the sub back to the surface and then blows the ballast to raise the hatch out of the water. This requires HP air from scuba tanks or possibly a positive displacement "blower" in a very large vessel but the pressure needed isn't a lot because the sub is already at or near the surface.
I've calculated a rough estimate using the two 80 cu. ft. scuba tanks on board and the 145 cu. ft. reserve tank to give me a minimum of 4 complete ballast tank fills at 10 feet of depth. I also plan to have two emergency tanks inside at 40 cu. ft. each with regulators attached for the unlikely event I have to flood the sub and climb out. ( man, I hope that never happens ! )
Frank D.